Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas In Hill Country














Y'all know I use this blog as a "scrapbook" of sorts, so I just want to do a quick synopsis of our quick trip to San Antonio!

Thurs AM :  Up early (normal time for Jeff and I) to us and the kiddos dressed and out of the door.  We hit the road at 6:15 and were pulling into a parking spot by The Riverwalk around 2:00.  I am OCD about getting to our destination :)

Thurs PM:  We really got to enjoy a good bit for the amount of time we had.  We hit up the Riverwalk boat tour, the Mirror Maze (complete with a laser course--P LOVED THIS!) and of course  The Alamo.  We topped off the day with a family meal at a Mexican place right on the beautiful river lit up at Christmas.  Of note were the "Mexican Donuts..."...lol.....the culinary highlight of the trip!!  Nana and Pop had a little snag with their nav system getting to the hotel but we all arrived safely at Hyatt Hill Country that night.

Friday AM:  I thought Nana and KK would LOVE a massage at the Spa so I did that as part of their Christmas...oh, ok I got myself one too :)  Maybe the best massage I've ever had. After our massages we hit the steam room and juice bar at the beautiful spa.  GREAT morning.  We had planned on taking a family bike riding trip but the weather was bad so we had to make a new plan.  This is HARD for me to do.  I can admit that.  But can I say a lazy day around the resort was JUST what my boys and I needed.  Jeff and I took turns working out while Preston and John Cole were entertained by what the hotel had to offer.  THEY EVEN HAD A JUMPY! Can NOT say enough about how family friendly this place was. The employees even acted like they were genuinely interested in what the boys had to SAY to them. I was impressed.  ANYWHOO, we had lunch then headed up for naps.

Friday PM:  We left the hotel pretty early to have time for dinner before "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" at the GORGEOUS Majestic Theater.  John Cole is getting his two year molars, and dinner was quite interesting to say the least, but after we got into the show he did great!  I think we all (except the Singhs who were on a date :) really enjoyed "The Grinch."  Think someone tried to burglarize my car parked in a public lot because the passenger door handle was broken AFTER we got back to the car Friday night...but thankfully they weren't successful.....

Saturday AM:  WE SLEPT IN!  This never, ever, ever happens at home.  I woke up feeling refreshed.  I was quite surprised, thought, that Sea World didn't open until noon so we had some time to kill.  Once again Hill Country rose to the occasion.  It was pretty chilly out but nice in the sun so they had the heated pools and the surfing instruction station open.  We stumbled upon it on our walk after breakfast and Preston was DYING to do it so we let him. I was SO PROUD of him--he really did great.  The picture I have on here just about kills me because he looks so big with his little muscles gripping the bodyboard.  P says this was his favorite part of the trip.  I wish I could have done it :)  Sooooo, after drying off we headed literally across the street to Sea World.  We really enjoyed our time there.  I wasn't super stressed about seeing EVERYTHING because I knew it was impossible in 4 1/2 hours so we picked what we really wanted to see.  John Cole LOVED the "Mo-Mo" (Elmo) show and says that was his favorite part of the trip.  I loved the dolphin show but was MOST impressed with exhibition of the new baby whale who was just 3 weeks old.  Tears people.  It was the sweetest thing.

Saturday PM:  Really, really regret not getting a family picture all dressed up Saturday night.  Sorry everyone.  And it was my parents' 39th anniversary and their pic didn't turn out.  BUMMER.  BUT, I can just write about our night ::)  We had a great family dinner at a Mexican (shocker!) place near our hotel.  The food was good and the margaritas were GREAT!  Next, we headed to the AT &T Center to watch the Trans Siberian Orchestra play.  It wasn't really what any of us were expecting, I think, but I did enjoy the music.

Sunday AM:  WE SLEPT IN AGAIN!  Now, we were paying for it tonight on the way home as John Cole was DONE with the car.  DONE I tell you.  But we made it home safely and truly refreshed.

THANKS AGAIN Nana and Pop for the trip!!!

No comments: